‘Supporting and developing and promoting mountaineering instructors’
- To promote the professional attitude of the AMI membership to the public and wider outdoor community
- To develop the skills of our membership through CPD, sharing information through the website, forum and magazine
- To support all levels of membership throughout their working career
The Association was formed in 1990 and the constitutional aims and objectives of the Association are as follows:
- To promote the Mountain Instructor Award (M.I.A.) and the Mountain Instructor Certificate (M.I.C.) as professional qualifications in Britain and abroad.
- To promote best practice in mountaineering instruction.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and to disseminate information.
- To promote the views of members to the national bodies of mountaineering.
- To foster and strengthen links with all relevant mountain training bodies.
- To contribute to the training, assessment and development of the M.I.C. and M.I.A.
- To produce and maintain a directory of Association members.
- AMI encourages its members and contracted staff to adopt a positive approach to the promotion of equal opportunities and the elimination of discrimination. AMI will work with all sections of the mountaineering community and the national mountaineering bodies to encourage equality in the outdoors, in the widest possible sense.